Monday, July 24, 2006

Gloria Jean's Glorietta 3: A Haven for Insomniacs Part 2

Day 2: Studying for Criminal Procedure Exam

This time, Jojo and I are here again studying for an upcoming exam two days from now. Its a weekday, being Tuesday, and these are the times we best enjoy studying here, since it's not very busy and there are few distractions.




It was a cold and long day, so I wanted something hot to soothe my throat and to give me a strong jolt to keep awake. I asked the barista what was a good strong coffee, and she suggested a shot of espresso. I declined, although I wanted something strong, a thick shot of espresso might make the nerves in my head explode, kidding, of course. So I went with the Cafe Americano, which is really just two shots of espresso with hot water added. Nothing fancy, but good and strong with robust flavor.



Jojo had his usual cold Chiller drinks. Come to think of it, I've never seen him take a hot coffee, for some reason, no matter what cafe we are studying in, it's always iced or blended with ice. Today, he ordered a large Choco Macademia Chiller. Never tried it myself, but he seems to enjoy it so it must be good.

For a snack, I ordered a Chocolate Chip Cookie, which may seem pricey for 50 bucks, but the picture doesn't do it much justice. It's a big cookie, like the size of my palm and half of my outstretched fingers, and gives just enough of a sugar rush for two. Actually it was a bit on the sweet side, but it complemented my bitter Americano nicely.

This time, the peace and quiet is a stark reversal of that here last week on Friday night. Tonight, it's practically ours to occupy, most of the other customers are outside in the smoking area. Of course, the fact that it's around 2 a.m. on a weeknight is an obvious reason for that fact. Around 3 a.m., the staffs switch off the lights in some areas that are unoccupied, and dim the lights in the display case, to save on electrical expenses for sure. That's how abandoned this area is at this time, and we are the only ones here left. But even in the dimmer fluorescent lighting, those chocolate and cheesecakes look so tempting.

This really is a great place to be if you need to study, or have a late night cap, or if you're in the area and are craving for coffee and pastries at 3 in the morning. The fact that it's a 24-hour place and is in the Makati area is a big factor for us, since our campus is here as well. Parking is pricey, though, especially on weekdays. A long 6-8 hour parking session would cover the time needed for dinner, some malling, and around 5 hours of study, and would cost within the range of 70-100 bucks.

During the day, this will be a great place to meet with old friends or have a quick business meeting if you're in the mall area. Good food, coffee, pastries and excellent service in a nice and quaint place.

No comments: